Happy Birthday, Mom!!! Hope you somehow sense this on the other side.
While watching a PBS show it came to light something really neat happened on her birthday way back when. I'd also seen that something historical happened on her birthday a bit more recently that still has resonance today. So I thought it might be nice to do something different on this occasion and list a few events which happened at various times on her special day. So here goes:
- 1777 - the Marquis de Lafayette arrives in the new "United States"
- 1805 - Lewis (of Lewis and Clark fame) and a few companions of the company arrive at the Great Falls of the Missouri River (a series of waterfalls in North-Central Montana); this was extremely significant, since not finding this would have put the success of the expedition in jeopardy
- 1866 - the 14th Amendment to U. S. Constitution passes Congress - a step towards equal rights
- 1910 - Charles Hamilton makes first one-day round trip NY to/from Phila. by air
- 1966 - The Supreme Court hands down the Miranda decision (you know, Miranda rights)
- 1967 - Thurgood Marshall nominated to SCOTUS
- 1971 - The New York Times published first installment of the Pentagon Papers
So have a really cool birthday, Mom!